Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Heather's Journal #32. "I Find Peace In Him." 12-04-07


32
“I Find Peace In Him.”
12-04-07

*smiles * Today has been tough but I talked 2 God & not only found a solution 2 make me feel better but I accepted it.  For the past few days I’ve been struggling with Temptation so badly.  I was planning on doing something - like I really was - but I’ve spent the entire morning crying about it so I called it off when I really started thinking about it.

My heart was pounding wondering if there was any possible way I’d get caught but then, this morning I realized something so much bigger than that.  God is so much bigger than my parents – and he would c me doing this.  I wouldn’t have 2 even question if God caught me -- if I know that He already sees everything.  It made me laugh cuz humans can be so close-minded & unaware of everything.  *sigh * I’ve really gotta start school now but I just wanted 2 let u know that temptation has not won me over.  I chose God. 

*I will strive 2 be better.
In Christ           
Heather Marie Lee


Dear Heather,

Good use of that new-found freedom!    Once again, something I read in The Christian’s Secret to a Happy Life reminds me that truth doesn't change much. I’ve said similar things to you already, but she puts a lot of thoughts together about temptation in a way that I haven’t yet written – so I don’t need to rewrite it because I agree.

Besides, I find it somehow comforting to know that a book written about the thoughts of Christians 140 years ago expresses thoughts both you and I have expressed countless times today.

Remember when I taught you my definition of history:  It is the study of man’s reactions to events over time? 

Individual humans can change, but as a species, humans basic thoughts don’t change very much.  140 years ago isn’t that long – but it is long enough for us to see a pattern in human thoughts unrelated to the time period we live in.  As a history teacher, I think that is an interesting fact.  (Nerd momma.  I know.)    

So anyway, she has a chapter entitled, “Difficulties Concerning Temptations.”  She wrote,

“ Certain great mistakes are made concerning the matter of temptation in the practical working out of the life of faith.”
 First, people seem to expect that after the soul has entered into rest in the Lord, temptations will cease; they think the promised deliverance is to be not only from yielding to temptation, but also even from being tempted.    
Next, they make the mistake of looking upon temptation as sin, and of blaming themselves for suggestions of evil, even while they abhor them.  This brings thems into condemnation and discouragement, if continued in, always ends at last in actual sin.  Sin makes an easy prey of a discouraged soul; so that we fall often from the very fear of having fallen.  
To meet the first of these difficulties, it is only necessary to refer to the Scripture declarations which state the Christian life is to be throughout a warfare; and that it is especially so when we are ‘seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.’ We are called to wrestle against spiritual enemies, whose power and skill to tempt us must doubtless be far superior to any we have heretofore encountered.   
….
The second mistake is harder to deal with. Temptation is not sin, yet much distress arises from not understanding this fact.  The enemy whispers doubts, blasphemies, jealousies, envyings, and pride, then turns rounds and says, ‘Oh, how wicked you must be to think such things! It is very plain you are not trusting the Lord; if you had been, it would be impossible for these things to have entered your heart.’” p. 43-44.
Okay.  Maybe I need to rephrase a little to simplify it for you.  All she is saying is that accepting Christ doesn't mean we won't be tempted.  But being tempted to sin is not the same as sin.  However, we sometimes think that being tempted IS sin and then we get discouraged.   And when we get discouraged and believe we have already sinned – we go ahead and commit the sin that we were tempted to commit. 

And that is because on earth we face spiritual warfare.  The enemy tries to tempt us and sway us. He tries to trick us with thoughts that we don't really believe enough or trust God enough and he wants us to think that that is sin too.  But it isn't true.  


God can handle it when we have doubts.  When we wonder.  When we start to slip.  He understands us and loves us anyway. But Satan doesn't want us to believe the truth.

The  part you have to keep remembering is that Satan only succeeds if we allow him.  In essence, we have to give him permission, because we have God on our side and he has already won.  I know we have talked about that before.

Anyway, it all makes a little more sense to me now.  I am still in a learning curve.  I hope I always will be.  If I stop learning, I feel like I would stop living. 

I love you.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment