Sunday, July 1, 2012

Heather's Journal #3 - "Just Making it By" 10-3-07


3
“Just Making it By”
10-3-07

Okay listen up here – This is my plan.  I’m gonna go pick up some Taco Bell & then go see a movie! Ah! Actually, problemo#1, I have exactly $4.00 in my wallet.  #2,  It’s 10:00 p.m. on a school night.  I’m grounded & the movie I wanna see isn’t even out yet.  Lol.  So I think my Plan is definitely ruined.  Ha-ha.  I’d go if could though. 

Anyways back2 life that is headed down the drain. (Hah jk) Today has been okay.  But just ok.  I felt like crying but I didn’t.  I’m a tough chikaD.  It’s just – these voices & flashbacks won’t leave me alone.  I was looking back @ my pictures from Cincinnati & all these memories were playing all @ once.  It’s like some kind of dream that never really ends.  Idk.  I’m still praying 4 answers.  I know God won’t leave me alone & I put all my faith in His plan.  Even though it’s extremely difficult, no1 ever said it was gonna be easy.  I’m hangin' in there.  I haven’t broken the rules @ all 2day… yay me. (1 down, just 50 more day’s 2 go lol)  Not even 50 days, more like 4ever.

I’m drinking chocolate milk right now.  (I’m about 2 xplode 2) Makes me feel like a lil' kid again.  I love feeling like that.  But ya – not much 2 say other than yes, I’m still alive.  I‘ve got school 2morrow, it’s fall break & Wahoo.  I hope I can still go 2 Shae’s house.  She helps me & she gives good advice.  She’s like a best friend/mom/sister 2 me.  Now how often do you find one of those?  Alrighty night. 

Shorty

Dear Shorty,

Good girl!  I’m glad to know that you can tell the difference between fantasy and reality. At least when the problem is as simple as Taco Bell with no money and a movie that hasn’t come out yet!  If only the rest of life was so clear. 

What do you keep thinking about in that dream that won’t end?  Are they happy memories?  Is it a memory that you have created in your fantasies that doesn’t feel quite right?  Is it the memory of helping your drunken father after he fell down the stairs when you were 4-years-old?  Or memories of you as the hero as you protected what you perceived to be your helpless father and grandmother.  Is it sitting at Wendy’s with your birth dad? Is it all the other places you lived that let you go?  Or maybe a little of all of that?  Think about what flashes back?  My guess is that whatever keeps coming up over and over again is what you haven’t resolved yet.  It’s what is haunting you.

When I was twenty I was hit head on by a drunk driver at 11:00 am in the morning on my way to work.  I was on a six-lane highway with no divider.  I was driving in the far inside lane.  I never saw him coming at me at 60 miles per hour.  I never had a chance to think, “Wow! I need to swerve to miss him.”  At least I have absolutely no memory of that.  I think he must have been in his lane until the very last second and then swerved into mine. 

Anyway, he hit me almost directly head on and my car rammed into a telephone pole that tipped over onto my car.  I remember seeing my hand on the steering wheel immediately after the accident, but the rest of my arm had bones poking out in places where they shouldn’t be.  I was pinned inside my car and I could see his car in front of me.  He had gone through the windshield and then went back into his car on the passenger side. There was lots of blood. At first, I thought he was a passenger.

I immediately assumed that because I didn’t know what happened, it must have been my fault.  I was terrified and stranded in the car.  But here’s the weird part.  I was in the middle of a busy highway and not one car stopped to help me.  No one.  Cars just kept driving around me and the other car – slowly to stare but not to stop – as if going wherever they were going was more important that stopping to help two obviously injured people.  I remember crying out for help and there was no one. It was terrifying. 

Finally, two men from the gas station across the street ran across the busy highway to help me.  I was obviously conscious and anxious to get out of the car.  I don’t know how, but one of the men pried open the door and I unbuckled my seatbelt, using one hand to take the broken hand off the steering wheel.  My knee was bleeding and had some metal in it. But I felt no pain whatsoever. 

I started walking across the street without looking.  Cars going full speed were swerving to avoid me, but I didn’t seem to notice them.  One of the men screamed at me to stop. I heard him, but I kept going.  Determined to reach a phone to call for help.

For the year after the accident I had awful nightmares.  The dreams were all slightly different, yet all the same– something horrible happening to me and bones and pieces of me all over the place – with no one coming to help me.  This was before the idea of post traumatic stress disorder was a common diagnosis, but I now know that is what I was suffering from. 

Anyway, I wasn’t talking to God very much at that point in my life, so I talked to my mom.  Every day, I would call and tell her the latest version of my dream and she would listen.  She was always really good at that.  One night, after a particularly graphic dream my mom said, something to this effect,  “You know what I have noticed?  All of your dreams seem to have a theme.  In all your dreams you have no control over the outcome. Just like in the accident.   Someone else decided to drink and to drive and to take your life into his hands.  Lots of someone’s decided to drive by you and just watch your agony – offering no help.  It seems like the real issue is lack of control.  And that really bothers you.” 

Immediately, all my dreams made sense.  It was like my sub-conscious needed me to understand why the accident had impacted me so severely and my dreams were the way of making sure that I paid attention.   Eventually, understanding my dreams helped me cope.  After that conversation with my mom, I never had another dream like that again.  I was finally able to deal with my grief over the lack of control at a conscious level.  That made a huge difference for me. 

I was telling my friend Ashley – another adoptive mom-  this story and she said, your dreams are such a metaphor for Heather’s life.  Wow. What insight.  Maybe she’s right.  Even though our causes were very different, maybe our problem was the same. 

Think about it.  You didn’t have any control over the things that happened to you in your early life in much the same way I couldn’t control the drunk driver or the passing drivers.  It feels really bad and scary and sad to have to suffer the consequences of someone else’s choices.  And like me, maybe you felt like what happened to you was your fault – making you feel guilty – even though there is no way it could have been your fault.  You weren’t even six when you were taken away – so everything happened when you were just a tiny little innocent girl – no matter how bad you were!

What do you think?

I love you.
Mom

P.S. Some of your childhood must have been really good because you associate chocolate milk with a childhood without worries.  I’m glad to know that at some level, you had that experience too!

No comments:

Post a Comment