Sunday, July 29, 2012

Heather's Journal #30. "That Teenage luuv..." 12-2-07


30
“That teenage luuv…”
12-2-07 (but she wrote 11-2-07)

I’m baaack.  :-) Nothing too drastic has happened to me… that I can remember at least.  Lol.  I’m still trying to get Mac-face 2 come 2 church with me, but I’m still praying about it.

Our family camping trip is coming up… oooh goody.  Lol. Maybe it’ll rain super hard so we can go to the mall or something… haha.

Okay I’m going to be 100% completely honest so mom/dad/any1 else that finds this, I’m sorry but this is just how I feel.  Last night I went to the movies & stood in the exact spot I gave Dan our last kiss… it made me miss him sooo much.  And maybe I shouldn’t miss him but I was so used 2 having him 2 go 2 4 six months.  I didn’t care that he wasn’t that attractive, his annoying side or when he was just a flat out jerk… I think I loved him & that’s all I cared about.  He was just a normal teenager and he treated me right.  OK… so he did pressure me a little but what guy wouldn’t?  Am I giving him too much credit?  I dunno – maybe I was settling 4 something less but I could have been a heck of a lot stronger too.  But we’re both different now so maybe… gah… nevermind.  Sometimes I want him back so bad (only if we’d be different though) cuz I swear I’d be stronger but it is easy 2 go back 2 ur old ways I guess.

This is where I push back on the heart-ache and trust that God knows what He’s doing it up there..  *sigh * It’s sooo tough but one day I’ll be looking back at them 2/ my future husband just laughing. I know these teenage relationships won’t mean a thing when I find the one but it’s all a part of growing up… I just can’t wait to meet the person God has 4 me.

In Christ,
Heather Lee

*I almost 4got 2 strive 2 be better. Lol *

Dear Heather,

Wow!  There is so much for a mother to say.  But I’ll try not to  sound too preachy.  Forget that!  I’m a mom.  It’ll sound preachy no matter what I say and I'm okay with that!

Let’s start at your conclusion …. You said, “I know these teenage relationships won’t mean a thing when I find the one but it’s all a part of growing up….”  Unfortunately, you are only partially right.  Done well, these relationships can teach you a great deal and be part of growing up in Western culture.  But done wrong – they will tear another gaping hole in your heart.  Sadly, you will have given part of your heart away to someone who was never meant to have it and who may not treat it with the respect and honor it deserves.

I know that you can’t wait to meet the person God has for you.  But do you mean, “I’m so excited.  The anticipation is killing me, but I know God has a plan for me and I’ll wait for His timing?” 

Or is it more like this: “God.  I can’t wait.  You know I need a guy to make me feel good about myself. You know I need a guy to touch me and hold me and tell me I’m beautiful. You know I need someone to love.  You know I need someone that will say he loves me.  You know I want to have fun.  You know I don’t want to be the only one without a guy.  You know I need someone.  So, while I’m waiting on You to get Your act together and meet my needs with the guy You have chosen for me, I’ll just find my own boyfriends?  Okay, God?”

My guess is that you feel the need to fill in the gaps for God. :0

You asked yourself, “Am I giving Dan too much credit?”  As you do frequently -- you answer your own questions without realizing it.  And sometimes, you give really good advice.  Maybe if I repeat what you said – you can hear yourself!

He pressured me.  He was a jerk.  He was annoying. (Okay – that’s true of everyone – so no points off there.) I gave all of myself to him.  I wasn’t strong enough to say no.  He cheated on me.  Maybe I am settling for something less.  I wouldn’t want him back if things were like before.

Does this sound like the man you think God made just for you?  Even if he was – you are 15 and just starting high school – are you strong and mature enough to remain pure and wholesome with the man God chose for you until you are actually ready to get married? Or would you be too impatient and mess up God’s plans for you?  (My educated guess - I think you know yourself well enough to know you aren’t yet ready for a lifetime commitment.  And God probably knows that too!)

From reading your journals, I know that you understand that God wants you to turn to Him to fulfill your need for love and affection. Unfortunately, knowing and understanding doesn’t mean we do what we know is right.  You probably don’t need to me tell you that because you say it often. But we all need reminders and accountability.  So consider this my gentle reminder – or a slap across the face – whichever you need.

Quit trying to do this yourself! This is one of those times when being stubborn and independent doesn’t work so well.  Be patient and wait for God. The results will be much better!

Okay.  So, I know that I’ve told you and your sisters this many times before… but moms feel the need to repeat the important stuff.  It comes with the job title. :-) Lesson 2,485.  You aren’t ready to be with another person until you are right with God and you are full and complete and happy all alone. Each person should go into the relationship with his or her heart as close to 100% whole as possible.

Only when you are full and complete and healed will you be ready to become one flesh with another person.  I’m not saying you have to be perfect.  Or that you can’t have issues.  We are all imperfect and have issues.  And we always will.

I’m saying that relationships are best when we have taken the time to grow and mature and focus on our relationship with God – where He helps us work out the big stuff -- before we add all our garbage to another person. 

Think about it.  You aren’t just combining the good stuff with the other person.  You bring all of your garbage and crap into the relationship and that gets combined into the one flesh too! 

Sounds a little weird I know.  But that’s what God says marriage is… when two people become one.  When one or both people come into the marriage broken or incomplete, they don’t suddenly become unbroken and whole just because they get married.

And I suspect what you really want is what most of us want.  You want to be valued for who you are as a person, but you want a life-time love affair with a man who will play the roles you aren’t meant to play – warrior, protector, fighter, leader of your home.

The problem is that most of us know we should put God first and let him fill the voids, but we do the exact opposite.  We know that we have holes in our heart.  But we think that if we find someone who doesn’t struggle with the same issues, or someone who is strong where we are weak – that that will make us whole again. But that’s a lie.

And in case you are wondering, it doesn’t really matter what causes the hole – the result is the same. You can’t expect to find someone else to make-up for your bad qualities. It’s not fair to expect some guy to “make you happy.”  It is simply too much responsibility.  No human will ever make another person happy because God didn’t make humans to fulfill that role.  We can add to a person’s happiness – but we can’t create it in another person.  I know that is a pretty deep concept.  Does it make sense?

And as for timing, I suspect that your future husband needs time to prepare for you too – either to repair his brokenness or to mature his Godly leadership so he can be a strong husband for you.

If I were God, I would make your perfect man a Godly, mature, whole, gentle, strong, adventurous, daring leader.  And he would have become that man either because he suffered much and overcame it with God.  Or, because he grew up knowing and pursuing God and has a heart of understanding, love, and grace for those who have suffered much.

That’s not the man you described in Dan.  At least not yet.  Ironically, you are right.  He’s just a typical teenager.  Which is exactly why he shouldn’t be your boyfriend.  You need good guy friends.  Not “romantic teen relationships.”

Enough mommy preaching.  But it’s the truth.  And I know that you know that.  Just a reminder. 

I love You.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment