Sunday, December 30, 2012

Heather's Journal #53. No Title. 3-6-08. Heather contemplates suicide ... again.


53
No Title
3-6-08
Yea, well life’s exactly what I expected.  I naturally want this world to a certain extent.  But when I’m in God’s presence, I know that’s truly what I long for.  The more I experience of this world the more temporary and half satisfying it becomes.  I get this feeling that is driving me to suicide. 

As much as I don’t want2 to the more the thought lingers.  The more I can imagine myself doing it.  I know Satan is feeding me lies & I’m feasting on them like a starved animal. It’s scaring me.  I feel if I screw up again, giving up will be my only escape.

As much as I’ve become, this thought has been torturing me lately.  What will I do when it all comes crashing down again?  When it doesn’t go my way & I’m back at the beginning?  I’m sick of the same conclusions & thinking I’m okay.  Thinking it won’t happen again.

I don’t know what to do?  I wish I could just be okay.  Everything’s the same here.  I try.  I fail.  I try.  I fail.  I’ll never be able2 live up2 the goals I’ve set4 myself. 

I want2 advance, I’m sick of just wishing I could.  I can’t bear the thought of leaving everyone I love & causing overwhelming heartache, but I don’t feel I’m strong enough.  I can’t believe I’m actually allowing this thought in my mind but its years that have been haunting me.  Oh God, I need your strength.  I’m not gonna allow Satan2 control my thoughts.

I will strive to be better.
In Christ,
Heather Marie Lee 

Dear Heather,

This is the first time in a really long time that you’ve talked about suicide at this level.  It sounds like the thoughts are consuming you again.  You said you have imagined doing it – which is an important change in your feelings.  Don’t ignore that feeling.  We have to address it because you are escalating your thoughts of suicide.

The really important question is whether you have thought about how you would kill yourself.  Once you start thinking that way it is a huge warning sign – so please please tell me or someone else. You can talk to me or dad or one of your sisters, or Renee.  You can even call the crisis hotline and talk to one of their trained counselors. And we can always go back to therapy.

Sometimes, medicine helps.  Sometimes a counselor can help.  Sometimes, just talking it through can help you.  Prayer always helps - especially if you feel like these thoughts are being pushed at you from the bad guy downstairs. 

Your logical mind and your heart knows suicide is a bad idea – but your feelings are being manipulated.  And it all relates back to how you feel about yourself.  Satan is able to control you because you have a weak spot – you hate making mistakes.  You hate getting into trouble.  You are afraid we won’t love you if you make a mistake. 

All of which is a big fat lie.  But a lie that you are willing to believe because you want to be perfect.  You want all of your sorrow to go away. 

I have been thinking this for months, but haven’t written it down since the very beginning of our letters. I notice that you are still signing your letters with “I will strive to be better.”  Do you remember last year when we talked about how impossible it is to be perfect?  How striving is not really useful because Jesus’ death on the cross already paid the price?  How you aren’t striving to get into Heaven – you are striving to make life on earth a little more peaceful?

Anyway, all these ideas are related to what you are dealing with now.  You are still feeling like a failure because you “strive” and you don’t succeed at staying out of trouble.  No matter how much you strive, you are still going to sin.  You are still going to make mistakes.  You can’t do it all alone.

And you are still loved and wanted by God.  By us.  By your friends and family.  Even when you screw up.  A lot. 

But Satan wants you to believe that your mistakes aren’t fixable.  That your mistakes show everyone that you are a failure.  Those are lies and that is what is killing you.  

Praying is your answer.  I will pray too.

I love you.
I want you.
I will keep you.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment