Thursday, June 28, 2012

Part 2 of 3 - Heather's Story: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning


If you see this and have not read Part 1, I suggest you scroll down and read it first.

On January 1, 2011, I was at the beach with my parents and many of my kids on our traditional after Christmas beach trip.  As often happens when I’m away from home, I had some time to think about my relationship with Heather.  She was still mad about me not taking her to Texas.  She was mad because we didn’t agree on her college plan.  Basically, she was mad at me about everything.  We couldn’t speak without her stomping off.

Part of the problem was that I had reached a frustration level with her and I was tired of listening to the same problems come up repeatedly – mainly related to her judgment about people and ideas.  She wanted so much to be an adult and make her own decisions.  But she also wanted the freedom to live and make mistakes and have fun like a kid.  Without some serious judgment and maturity – that’s a messy mix.

Other than the Texas boyfriend issue – which hadn’t been discussed since the night I let her know that I had no intention of letting her drive to Texas by herself -- or of going with her -- we had been talking about her future plans, which was another touchy subject.

So, I was thinking about what I could do to improve my relationship with Heather.  I was also thinking about why I was so angry with her.  I talked to both of my parents and my husband and asked them if there was anything left for me to do for Heather.  I wanted to know if I had left any stone unturned.  Failed to do anything that might help her. 

Through hours of discussion, my mom concluded that there was nothing left for me to do.  I had tried everything.  For me, that was quite freeing, because knowing that I had done all I could do allowed me to let go of my anger.  I was angry because I wasn’t successful.  Recognizing – again - that it isn’t my job to make her succeed – only to give her the tools to do so – made me instantly less frustrated. 

Then I talked to my dad.  Not surprisingly, he had a little different view.  Although he didn’t think there was anything we hadn’t tried with Heather - in 12 years, he had only witnessed Heather’s sweet side.  He had always heard the “Heather stories,” but he rarely experienced her conduct or poor judgment first hand.

My Dad felt like we “set her up for failure” by telling her that she couldn’t accomplish certain things or by joking about her bad judgment.  And we had done those things. My husband always made “dumb blond” jokes about Heather.  (We learned after she died --she loved her dad’s blond jokes!)  When she did something crazy or that lacked total judgment, we would say – “What else would you expect from Heather?” We laughed at her reasoning skills. Like when she texted me and said:  “I was 29 points away from making an A in speech class, so I got a B.” But these were never intended to be mean-spirited.

We also told her that she wasn’t academically prepared for college because of her decisions in high school.  We didn’t say she couldn’t do it – only that past decisions had affected her current desires and she needed to do more to reach her ultimate goal.

We didn’t think of those words as causing the problem.  Our biggest issue with Heather was that we never thought she met her potential.  And that’s all we have ever wanted for her.  We didn’t care whether she got a four-year degree.  We didn’t care if she was the best student in high school.  We didn’t care if she was a garbage collector.  All we cared about was that she used the gifts God gave her to be whoever God wanted her to be.  Whoever and whatever that was.

Even though I didn’t necessarily agree with my dad’s assessment, I took that information under advisement and even told Heather what he said.  And I became more aware of what we said about and to her over the next few weeks. 

Things got a lot better after my January 1 conversations.  Miraculously, I wasn’t mad at Heather anymore and that helped me deal with her much better.  I had finally turned Heather completely over to God and no longer felt like I was required to solve her problems.  Actually, I should say that I released her to God -- again.  It seems to be a continuous and daily process because I’ve been doing that for years!

So the next two weeks, which actually turned out to be our last two weeks together, showed a marked change in our relationship – at least from the past few months.  We could actually talk without her stomping out. 

In what was an odd turn of events, Heather’s birth father called me on January 6, 2011, and told me that Heather had just called him – very upset.  Heather’s relationship with her father had been developing since the preceeding summer when she turned 18. Birth families are a fact of life when you adopt older children.  It’s not like you can pretend their memories don’t exist.  So we had known her father since we adopted Heather.  He had called and written her letters over the years.  We had taken Heather to see him and the rest of the family three times since we adopted her.

When she was old enough, we didn’t require details, we just tried to guide the developing relationship with her father.   I knew Heather wanted to believe her Daddy P was safe and loved her.

Anyway, I wasn’t alarmed that her father called me.  Over the years we had spoken many times before and he called me once before when he thought I might need to know something important that Heather had confided in him.  Although our relationship had been strained when Heather was younger – mainly because we had so many unanswered questions about Heather’s past – since we had all spent a few days together the previous summer and because Heather was older, I think we both felt better able to speak more freely.

Anyway, Heather’s biological father was openly supportive of Heather and our family. When she asked if she could come stay with him for a while shortly before she died, he told her that she was with her family and needed to stay. As far as I know, he never tried to convince her that she should have been with him. Even though he told Heather that he did not want her to be adopted when he signed the adoption papers.

Anyway, Heather had just been contacted by her boyfriend’s new girlfriend on Facebook and found out that he had been cheating on her.  Her Daddy P just wanted me to know that she was very upset.  Both he and I knew it wasn’t normal for Heather to call him first. So she must have been desperate.  That’s why he called to warn me.  He didn’t know just how desperate she might be. 

I suspected that she called him before telling anyone here because she knew we didn’t like her relationship.  She was broken-hearted because the boyfriend turned out to be the “wrong guy for her” and she wasn’t ready to hear that.

Her birth dad was a safe person because she had intentionally only told him the good things about her boyfriend.  Heather tended to separate parts of her life and only tell certain people cerain things in an effort to maintain her idea of control.  She needed someone to support the relationship, so she didn’t tell her birth dad the negative things about her relationship that she had told me – I presume so that she would have at least one person who didn’t have any reason to dislike him.

But the call from her birth dad was helpful.  Instead of waiting on Heather to tell me, I decided to initiate the conversation about her boyfriend and create an opportunity for her to tell me. I knew that she was afraid I would be secretly happy and that I might say “I told you so….” And I must confess I have said that before.  But I had time to ponder the best approach without letting my immediate feelings interfere, so I texted her.  That was usually a safe way to communicate.

January 6, 2011

Me:  So what is going on with you and your boyfriend?

Heather:  He just has another girlfriend in Texas I found out about so I dumped him.

Me:  Wow.  How did you find out?

Heather:  She asked me on fb if I was the girl he used to date and it went from there. U were right mom.  I’m sorry.

Me:  Double wow!  I guess I don’t have to drive to Texas anymore!?!  Lol. 

Heather:  Haha.  Good one mom.

Me:   I’m always right sweetheart!   I just have to wait for you to figure it out!!! Lol.

And for the record – I do care enough to hate what I know is bad for you. 

Heather:  Ha-ha and that’s what makes a good mom though. Well haaaate away! 

Me:  Hate is a strong emotion reserved for when someone cares enough to be angry.  That’s me.

Heather:  I see.  I see.  Maybe since you can pick out the perfect cat for me, u can pick out the perfect boyfriend?

Me:  Good point.  But why don’t we just wait til you are ready and I’ll pick out the perfect husband?

Btw.  I’m going to frame the last text. 

Heather:  Ha-ha. Cuz I need someone to buy me stuff.  Duh! 

Ha-ha.   U should frame it.  I cannot believe u were right.  It kinda pisses me off but oh well. Ha.

Me:  It pisses me off when I’m right too… cuz I’m not patient enuf to wait for everyone else to figure out what I seem to know instantly.  It’s called discernment and I got that gift in full.  Ask dad about that.  He takes a long time to think about what he thinks and I’ve moved on.  Then, if after thinking, he agrees with me  - everyone thinks he’s just following me and can’t think for himself.

Heather:  Mm  it’s  tough for everybody. Hahahaha.    Gotta love dad!

A little later…

Heather:  He’s really upset and his mom called me.  He just falls apart when I get mad at him, but it’s just not ok for him to do that.  So I’m worried about how he’ll react, but I’m so not with him.

It just sucks cuz it really hurt my feelings.  I don’t need him though. At least I’m smart enough to realize that much.

Me:  When did this happen?

Heather:  Yesterday. How did you find out?

A little later…

Heather: I can’t eat anything.

Me:  Why?

Heather:  Just upset.  It’s makin’ me feel sick.

Me:  Don’t drink sugary stuff.  Try crackers.  Hot tea. So, are you angry, disappointed, questioning your judgment, feeling betrayed…. What?

Heather:  Ok.  I’ll try those.  I’m everything but questioning my judgment.  My feelings just got hurt and everything.  I would have done anything for him.

Me:  So the fb pic of you burning a torn photo of him isn’t a clue to how you feel is it?

Heather:  Lol.  Yeeessss!

Me:  Did the other girl break up too? Is he still in the group home?  I’m curious about how she knew about you.

Heather: Well, I wrote on his wall and said I’m in love with you and she messaged me on fb after that. When I told her that we were still dating she said she was sorry and had no idea so she’s not with him anymore.  She was gunna confront him at school but he skipped today.  And yes, he’s still there. 

The worst part is that I knew he cared so much but no teenage guy has the ability to be in a long-distance relationship.  I lost him the day he moved.  Ohhh well though.

Me:  How long did she date him?

Heather:  I don’t even know.

Heather said she was fine and “so not with him”, but she was also devastated. Everything we had ever told her about why we didn’t think this boy was good for her was now proving true.  This was the worst possible turn of events for her.

After that text conversation, she didn’t say much about the situation.   She worked a lot.  She went out with friends often.  One night she drove to the University where two of her close friends were to spend the night.  As I was looking through my old texts, I saw that I sent her a message that night telling her to “be my kind of careful” driving because it was super cold and there could be ice on the roads.  Her only response, “I will.” 

So basically, after breaking up with what she thought was the love of her life – the boy she thought she would marry - she did what she usually did and tried to act happy in spite of her sorrow.

A few days later we had one of our random text conversations.  In retrospect, it was prophetic.

I was stressing out over I don’t know which child or birth mom who was making crazy decisions and I sent out a text plea to three of my older children.  I was really just venting, which I sometimes do with the older kids who I know understand my craziness.  In this case, the issue didn’t involve Heather directly, so I sent it to her too!

Text between me and Heather, January 11, 2011:

Me:  I’m having lots of trouble holding my tongue and keeping my opinions to myself.  Any suggestions?  I’m so sick of stupid decisions (by others of course!) Lol.

Heather:  R u talking about me or something?

Me:  Everyone.  I’m so tired of disagreeing and I’m so overwhelmed by the number of people in my life making bad decisions.  Not you in particular!  Lol.

Heather:  Oh.  I was like what did I do this time?  Mom, there’s nothing u can do to change our decisions but be a good example yourself.  We’ll all eventually learn. Just love us at the end of the day.

Me:  What about my feeling of responsibility to those affected by the bad decisions – including their children?

Heather:  Then voice your opinion just like u always have but then just leave the rest up to God.  He always takes care of his children.  You don’t have to do all the work.

Me:  True. 

A few minutes later…

Me:  I just got off the phone with TayTay.  She gets the award for funniest advice.  She said, “If someone asks for your opinion, just say in a Madea-like tone, “Hell, I don’t have no idea.  Then start talking about all your own problems!  That’ll shut them up.”

Heather:  LOL  I’m so glad for her kind of perspective.  Goshhhhh!  That’s the truth!!

Me:  I laughed hysterically.  She had the perfect Madea voice.

Heather:  Hahaaa love heeeer!


Part 3 will be posted simultaneously

No comments:

Post a Comment